- defense: tracking department of defense healthy base initiative with the office of military community and family policy food and beverage guidelines as it relates to the initiative.
- health issues: tracking vending standards included in the most recent edition of the health and sustainability guidelines for federal concessions and vending operations relates to vending restrictions in federal buildings. specifically related to caffeine and healthy food nutrition guidelines and pending calorie disclosure requirements. ; ; tracking general services administration (gsa) and centers for disease control's (cdc) request for information on the health and sustainability guidelines for federal concessions and vending operations.
- energy/nuclear: worked with doe's energy star program and its application to vending machine and commercial coffee brewer manufacturers. the energy star program was established by the epa in 1992 under the authority of the clean air act section 103(g). discussions regarding framework document for refrigerated beverage vending machine standards s. 1392 energy savings and industrial competitiveness act for 2013. office of climate protection partnership division. doe's proposed energy conservation and testing standards for refrigerated beverage vending machines (bvms), as required by federal law - (42 u.s.c 6295(m)(1). final rule issued 7/02/2015. epas proposed protection of stratospheric ozone: change of listing status for certain substitutes under the significant new alternatives policy program. [docket no. epa-hq-oar-2014-0198] energy star commercial coffee brewers draft specification framework document. epas final fule on listing of substitutes for refrigeration docket no.[epa-hq-oar-2013-0748; frl-9922-26-oar] supportive of language in the fy 2016 interior, environment and related agencies appropriations bill, that will help address some key issues that have been raised regarding the epa's proposed rule making to use its significant new alternatives policy (snap) program to change the status of (delist) certain commercial refrigerants and air conditioning applications and materials (other than motor vehicle air conditioning) and certain foam-blowing applications and materials.; ; s. 1047 - a bill to require the secretary of energy to review rulemaking proceedings of other federal agencies for the potential to cause an adverse effect on the cost, time, or difficulty of complying with energy efficiency regulations, guidelines, or standards. (tracking); ; attended department of energy stakeholder meeting (september, 29, 2015) regarding their energy conservation standards: notice of proposed rulemaking for beverage vending machines, docket #: eere-2013-bt-std-0022, rin: 1904-ad00. prepared and filed industry comments in response to this proposed rule; ; worked with sba office of advocacy on issues related to the department of energys energy conservation standards: notice of proposed rulemaking for beverage vending machines; docket #: eere-2013-bt-std-0022, rin: 1904-ad00 and their impacts on small businesses in the refreshment services channel.; ; held meetings with epas energy star program office related to their green power partnership and energy star commercial buildings programs.; also had discussions with the white house on energy conservation efforts related to sustainability and the impact of the does proposed energy conservation standards on the beverage vending machines.; ; epa - green power partnership program; * coordinated epa energy star stakeholder meeting at nama's coffee, tea and water show to discuss the commercial coffee brewers draft 1 version 1.0 specification. ; * coordinator letter from u.s. senate to dept. of energy on energy conservation standards: notice of proposed rulemaking for beverage vending machines, docket #: eere-2013-bt-std-0022, rin: 1904-ad00.; *held meeting and worked with white house on american business act on climate pledge.
- labor issues/antitrust/workplace: supporting s.30 40 hours is full time act of 2015 and h.r.30 save american workers act of 2015, which changes the current definition of full-time under the affordable care act from 30 hours to the standard definition of full-time work which is forty hours per week. tracking of proposed dept. of labor regulations related to the fair labor standards act (flsa). ; ; tracked updates on the department of labor's notice of proposed rulemaking; defining and delimiting the exemption for executive, administrative, professional, outside sales, and computer employees, docket no. whd-2015-0001-0001.; ; had discussions with the white house office of public engagement and the small business administration related to the proposed rulemaking on the dols notice of proposed rulemaking (nprm) to amend the fair labor standards act (flsa) regulations implementing the exemption from minimum wage and overtime pay for executive, administrative, professional, outside sales, and computer employees (known as the white collar or eap exemptions).; ; also, had discussions with the white house regarding the impact of the president executive order on sick leave requiring federal contractors to grant at least seven days of paid sick leave to their employees.
- food industry (safety, labeling, etc.): regulations under the patient protection and affordable care act (hr 3590) related to calorie disclosure on products sold through vending machines (federal register/ vol. 78, no. 5/page 1376 tuesday, january 8, 2013) food safety modernization act (21 usc chapter 27) final rule. meetings held with fdas office of food and veterinary medicine related to calorie disclosure rules. tracking issues related to the us food code and its application to the micro market channel. this specifically relates to the office of food safety at the center for food safety & nutrition. specifically, discussion surrounding state health department regulations, which mostly reflect the us food code related to food safety and micro markets and the; council for food protection. ; ; had a discussion with epa regarding their food recovery challenge to understand the program more fully and be briefed on how the refreshment services industry may participate.; discussions with usda regarding their www.choosemyplate.gov program and met with the first ladys lets move! staff regarding potential opportunities to work together on issues related to food and nutrition efforts in the refreshment services industry.; ; urged the president's fy 2017 budget request provide adequate funding for the u.s. food and drug administrations (fda) food safety activities as one of its highest priorities rather than proposing new user fees on consumers and food makers.; ; tracked 2015 dietary guidelines recently released by usda and hhs.
- taxation/internal revenue code: tax on sugar sweetened beverages and the impact on the vending industry. specifically, h.r. 1687, the sugar-sweetened beverages tax act of 2015 or the sweet act. (tracking); ; tracked h.r. 2029 - consolidated appropriations act, 2016 (public law no. 114-113)
- budget/appropriations: tracking letter to department of health and human services and the office of management and budget regarding the presidents fiscal year (fy) 2017 budget request. in this letter we respectfully asked that the presidents fy 2017 budget request provide adequate funding for the u.s. food and drug administrations (fda) food safety activities as one of its highest priorities rather than proposing new user fees on consumers and food makers.; ; tracked h.r. 2029 consolidated appropriations act, 2016 (public law no. 114-113).
- minting/money/gold standard: tracking issues related to the secretary of the treasury's decision to provide meaningful access to united states currency in accordance with the court's judgment in american council of the blind, et al. v. timothy f. geithner, secretary of the treasury. discussions surrounding potential updates to redesign of currency for the visually impaired. issues related to the alloy content of coins, specifically; related to h.r. 516, the cents and sensibility act. issues related to the savings, accountability, value and efficiency and save act (h.r. 614) and the impact that changes to united states coins will have on the vending industry. discussions surrounding the u.s. mint's 2012 and 2014 biennial reports to congress on continuity act of 2010 (public law 11-302). office of coin studies, u.s. mint. ; ; met with bureau of engraving and printing to receive update on issues related to meaningful access to u.s. currency and coordinated webinar on this issue. furthermore, discussions were held concerning next monetary note denomination to be produced by bep.
- small business: the regulatory flexibility act (pub. l. no 96-354, 94 stat. 1164 (1981), amended by small business regulatory enforcement fairness act of 1996, pub. l. 104-121, 110 stat. 857 (1996) (codified as amended at 5 u.s.c. 601-612 (2000) as it relates to review of effects of proposed regulations on small businesses. h.r. 2542 the regulatory flexibility improvements act of 2013 (rfia) as it related to reforming the regulatory process to ensure that all federal agencies appropriately consider the impact of their rules on small businesses across america. this specifically relates to pending fda calorie disclosure regulations as required by the affordable care act. supportive efforts related to h.r. 527 and s. 1536, the small business regulatory flexibility improvements act of 2015.; ; worked with sba office of advocacy on issues related to the department of energys energy conservation standards: notice of proposed rulemaking for beverage vending machines docket #: eere-2013-bt-std-0022, rin: 1904-ad00 and their impacts on small businesses in the refreshment services channel. also discussed small business impact of this rule with u.s. senate and house offices.